查看原文
其他

TED英语演讲视频:我为什么要勇敢站出来?

TED是Technology, Entertainment, Design(科技、娱乐、设计)的缩写,这个会议的宗旨是"用思想的力量来改变世界"。TED演讲的特点是毫无繁杂冗长的专业讲座,观点响亮,开门见山,种类繁多,看法新颖。而且还是非常好的英语口语听力练习材料,建议坚持学习。


TED演讲视频视频简介:

当时装模特吉娜·罗切洛第一次穿比基尼的时,别人都觉得有点奇怪,那是因为她生来就有“男孩”的性别特征。在这个演讲中,罗切洛讲述了她如何突破自己,并做她自己想做的事情的。

https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?width=500&height=375&auto=0&vid=l0176c18it4

TED演讲稿

The world makes you something that you're not,

这个世界造就了一个不真实的你,


but you know inside what you are,

但在内心深处,你知道自己是谁。


and that question burns in your heart: How will you become that?

有个问题使你心神不安:“你是怎样变成那样的呢?


I may be somewhat unique in this,

也许我是这个问题的一个特例,


but I am not alone,

但我并不孤单,


not alone at all.

一点也不孤单。


So when I became a fashion model,

当我成为一名时装模特时,


I felt that I'd finally achieved the dream that I'd always wanted since I was a young child.

我感觉我终于实现了小时候一直向往的梦想。


My outside self finally matched my inner truth,

我的外在终于和我内心的自我,


my inner self.

真实的自我,符合了。


For complicated reasons which I'll get to later,

我之后再解释复杂的原因。


when I look at this picture,

当我看着张照片时,


at that time I felt like, Geena,

那时我感觉,“吉娜


you've done it,

你做到了,


you've made it,

你成功了,


you have arrived.

你完成心愿了。


But this past October,

但在过去的十月份,


I realized that I'm>我意识到这只是一个开始。


All of us are put in boxes by our family,

我们大家都被家庭,


by our religion,

宗教,


by our society,

社会,


our moment in history,

历史,


even our own bodies.

甚至我们的身体所限制。


Some people have the courage to break free,

有些人有勇气去解放自我,


not to accept the limitations imposed by the color of their skin or by the beliefs of those that surround them.

不接受因为皮肤颜色或者大环境中的信仰所导致的限制。


Those people are always the threat to the status quo,

这些人对所谓的 “可以接受的标准 ”


to what is considered acceptable.

一直都是威胁的。


In my case,

就我而言,


for the last nine years,

在过去的九年里,


some of my neighbors,

我的一些邻居,


some of my friends, colleagues,

我的一些朋友,同事,


even my agent,

即使是我的经纪人,


did not know about my history.

不知道我的过去。


I think, in mystery,

我认为在宗教中


this is called the reveal.

这叫做事实的揭露。


Here is mine.

这是我的故事。


I was assigned boy at birth based>在我出生时,根据生殖器的外观我被鉴别为男孩。


I remember when I was five years old in the Philippines walking around our house,

我记得在菲律宾,我五岁的时候在房子周围走的时候,


I would always wear this t-shirt>我总是会把这件短袖衫穿在头上。


And my mom asked me,

我妈妈就问我,


"How come you always wear that t-shirt>“你为什么总是把那件短袖衫穿在头上?


I said, "Mom,

我说:“妈妈,


this is my hair.

这是我的头发,


I'm a girl."

我是一个女孩。


I knew then how to self-identify.

那时我就知道如何自我识别。


Gender has always been considered a fact, immutable,

性别总是被认为是一个事实,不可改变,


but we now know it's actually more fluid,

但是我们知道事实上性别是更加不定的,


complex and mysterious.

复杂而神秘。


Because of my success,

因为我的成功,


I never had the courage to share my story,

我从来没有勇气分享我的故事,


not because I thought what I am is wrong,

不是因为我觉得我错了,


but because of how the world treats those of us who wish to break free.

而是因为畏惧世界会如何对待我们这些打破常规的人。


Every day, I am so grateful because I am a woman.

每一天,我都感到非常庆幸,因为我是一个女人。


I have a mom and dad and family who accepted me for who I am.

我有一个家庭和能够接受我真正自我的父母。


Many are not so fortunate.

很多人并不是那么幸运。


There's a long tradition in Asian culture that celebrates the fluid mystery of gender.

在亚洲,我们有一个悠久的传统去赞颂性别不定的神秘。


There is a Buddhist goddess of compassion.

这是佛教中的观世音菩萨。


There is a Hindu goddess, hijra goddess.

这是印度教中的希吉拉女神。


So when I was eight years old,

所以当我八岁那年,


I was at a fiesta in the Philippines celebrating these mysteries.

我在菲律宾的一个嘉年华会庆祝这些神秘宗教。


I was in front of the stage,

我在舞台前,


and I remember,

我记得,


out comes this beautiful woman right in front of me,

就在我面前出现了一个美丽的女人,


and I remember that moment something hit me: That is the kind of woman I would like to be.

我记得,在那一刻我的内心被触动了:那就是我想成为的那种女人。


So when I was 15 years old,

所以当我15岁的时候,


still dressing as a boy,

我以男孩的身份,


I met this woman named T.L.

见到了这位叫做T.L的女士。


She is a transgender beauty pageant manager.

她是变性选美大赛的经理。


That night she asked me,

那天晚上她问我,


"How come you are not joining the beauty pageant?"

“你为什么不参加变性选美大赛呢?


She convinced me that if I joined that she would take care of the registration fee and the garments,

她说服我,如果我参加变性选美大赛她会为我付注册费, 帮我买服装。


and that night,

那天晚上,


I won best in swimsuit and best in long gown and placed second runner up among 40-plus candidates.

我赢得了最佳泳装奖,最佳长礼服奖,并且在四十个候选人中获得了季军。


That moment changed my life.

那一刻改变了我的一生。


All of a sudden,

突然间,


I was introduced to the world of beauty pageants.

我迈入了选美大赛的世界中。


Not a lot of people could say that your first job is a pageant queen for transgender women,

没有多少人敢说你的第一份工作是变性选美大赛中的女王, 不管被人怎样想,


but I'll take it.

我都接受了。


So from 15 to 17 years old,

在我十五到十七岁那些年间,


I joined the most prestigious pageant to the pageant where it's at the back of the truck, literally,

我加入了最有名望的选美大赛。坦白的说,


or sometimes it would be a pavement next to a rice field,

在卡车背后举行的选美大赛,


and when it rains -- it rains a lot in the Philippines -- the organizers would have to move it inside someone's house.

或者有时在庄稼地旁的马路上,在下雨的时候 (菲律宾经常下雨) 举办者就得把选美大赛移到别人的房子里。


I also experienced the goodness of strangers,

我也感受到了陌生人的善意,


especially when we would travel in remote provinces in the Philippines.

特别是当我们身处于菲律宾偏远的省市中。


But most importantly,

但是最重要的是,


I met some of my best friends in that community.

我遇到了那个社区中几个我最要好的朋友。


In 2001, my mom,

在2001年,


who had moved to San Francisco,

我移居旧金山的妈妈


called me and told me that my green card petition came through,

打电话告诉我我的绿卡请愿书通过了,


that I could now move to the United States.

我现在可以搬到美国去了。


I resisted it.

但我拒绝了。


I told my mom, "Mom,

我告诉我妈妈,“妈妈,


I'm having fun.

我现在过得很开心。


I'm here with my friends,

我和我的朋友们在一起,


I love traveling,

我喜欢旅行,


being a beauty pageant queen."

我也成为了选美皇后。


But then two weeks later she called me, she said,

但两周后她又打电话给我,她说,


"Did you know that if you move to the United States you could change your name and gender marker?"

“你知道如果你移居到美国,你可以换一个名字,并且改变你的性别标识么?


That was all I needed to hear.

那是我最希望听到的了。


My mom also told me to put two E's in the spelling of my name.

我妈妈还告诉我在我名字的拼写中加两个字母“E” 。


She also came with me when I had my surgery in Thailand at 19 years old.

在泰国我十九岁那年接受变性手术时, 她也在我身边。


It's interesting, in some of the most rural cities in Thailand,

有趣的是,在泰国一些农村地区,


they perform some of the most prestigious,

他们却可以做最先进,安全,


safe and sophisticated surgery.

并且成熟的变性手术。


At that time in the United States,

在那时,美国


you needed to have surgery before you could change your name and gender marker.

需要你在换名和改变性别标识之前现接受变性手术。


So in 2001,

在2001年,我移居到旧金山,


I moved to San Francisco,

我搬到旧金山,


and I remember looking at my California driver's license with the name Geena and gender marker F.

我记得,当我看着有着我名字吉娜和性别标识为女的驾照时,


That was a powerful moment.

我深深地被触动了、


For some people, their I.D.

对有些人来说,他们的驾照只是一个身份证,


is their license to drive or even to get a drink,

或者获买酒的凭证,


but for me,

但对我来说,


that was my license to live,

那个驾照是可以让我


to feel dignified.

有尊严生活的许可证。


All of a sudden,

突然间,


my fears were minimized.

我不再恐惧了。


I felt that I could conquer my dream and move to New York and be a model.

我感到我可以征服我的梦想了,可以移居到纽约并成为一名模特。


Many are not so fortunate.

很多人并不是那么幸运。


I think of this woman named Islan Nettles.

我想到一个叫伊斯兰·奈特尔斯的女人。


She's from New York,

她来自纽约,


she's a young woman who was courageously living her truth,

她是个勇敢地活在真理中的年轻女人,


but hatred ended her life.

但是人们的憎恶结束了她的生命。


For most of my community,

在我的周围,


this is the reality in which we live.

这就是我们真实的生活。


Our suicide rate is nine times higher than that of the general population.

我们的自杀率是一般人群自杀率的9倍。


Every November 20,

每年11月20日,


we have a global vigil for Transgender Day of Remembrance.

我们有一个变性纪念日的守夜。


I'm here at this stage because it's a long history of people who fought and stood up for injustice.

我之所以站在这里,是因为这是一段很长的人们与不正义搏斗的历史。


This is Marsha P.

她们是玛莎P.


Johnson and Sylvia Rivera.

约翰逊和西尔维亚·里维拉。


Today, this very moment,

今天,这个特别时刻,


is my real coming out.

是我的真情表露。


I could no longer live my truth for and by myself.

我不能仅仅为了我自己信仰而活着。


I want to do my best to help others live their truth without shame and terror.

我想尽力去帮助别人,帮助他们在没有羞耻和恐惧的情况下活出真实的自己。


I am here, exposed,

我在这里,坦诚相待,


so that>这样总有一天再也不需要守夜了。


My deepest truth allowed me to accept who I am.

我最深刻的真理让我接受了我是谁,


Will you?

你们也会么?


Thank you very much.

非常感谢。


(Applause) Thank you.

(掌声)非常感谢。


Thank you.

谢谢。


Thank you.

谢谢。


(Applause)

(掌声)


Kathryn Schulz: Geena,

凯瑟琳·舒尔茨:吉娜,


one quick question for you.

问你一个简单的问题。


I'm wondering what you would say,

我疑惑的是,


especially to parents,

特别是对父母,


but in a more broad way, to friends, to family,

对朋友,对家庭,


to anyone who finds themselves encountering a child or a person who is struggling with and uncomfortable with a gender that's being assigned them,

或是对任何人,你会怎样去向他们解释,并说服他们去关心那些痛苦挣扎于性别的人,


what might you say to the family members of that person to help them become good and caring and kind family members to them?

帮助他们成为对他们好的、有爱心的、善良的家庭呢?


Geena Rocero: Sure.

吉娜·罗塞罗:当然。


Well, first, really,

嗯,首先,真的,


I'm so blessed.

我个人真的非常幸运。


The support system,

有很多支持我的人,


with my mom especially,

尤其是我妈妈,


and my family,

还有我的家人,


that in itself is just so powerful.

这力量本身就很强大。


I remember every time I would coach young trans women,

我记得每次我教年轻的变性女性,


I would mentor them,

我会指导他们,


and sometimes when they would call me and tell me that their parents can't accept it,

有时他们打电话告诉我他们的父母不能接受,


I would pick up that phone call and tell my mom, "Mom,

我会接电话告诉我妈妈,“妈妈,


can you call this woman?"

你能给这个女人打电话吗?


And sometimes it works,

有时候很管用,


sometimes it doesn't,

有时候不是,


so — But it's just,

但只是


gender identity is in the core of our being, right?

性别认同是我们存在的核心,对吗?


I mean, we're all assigned gender at birth,

我是说,我们出生时都被分配性别,


so what I'm trying to do is to have this conversation that sometimes that gender assignment doesn't match,

所以我想做的是进行一次有时性别分配不匹配的谈话,


and there should be a space that would allow people to self-identify,

应该有一个让人们自我认同的空间,


and that's a conversation that we should have with parents, with colleagues.

这是我们应该和父母和同事们进行的谈话。


The transgender movement,

变性人运动,


it's at the very beginning,

刚开始的时候,


to compare to how the gay movement started.

比较一下同性恋运动是怎么开始的。


There's still a lot of work that needs to be done.

还有很多工作要做。


There should be an understanding.

应该有个谅解。


There should be a space of curiosity and asking questions,

应该有一个好奇的空间问问题,


and I hope all of you guys will be my allies.

我希望你们都能成为我的盟友。


KS: Thank you.

KS:谢谢。


That was so lovely.

真实太棒了


GR: Thank you.

GR:谢。

▼往期精彩回顾▼艾玛沃特森联合国经典演讲《HE FOR SHE》,英音之典范!
《西部世界》1-2季中英视频资源免费领(视频+剧本+追剧笔记)
【141个英文视频合集】口语听力必备资源
260篇双语阅读美文大合集,送给你~
40篇经典BBC纪录片合集,收藏~
20本这一生一定要读的英文小说~
303篇Ted英文演讲视频集合,收藏~马云美国1h震撼英文演讲:错过中国,你就错过了未来!
BBC纪录片:权利之巅的男人-普京“阅读原文”一起查看往期TED合集!

    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存