查看原文
其他

TED演讲:不要给自己人生设限

TED是Technology, Entertainment, Design(科技、娱乐、设计)的缩写,这个会议的宗旨是"用思想的力量来改变世界"。TED演讲的特点是毫无繁杂冗长的专业讲座,观点响亮,开门见山,种类繁多,看法新颖。而且还是非常好的英语口语听力练习材料,建议坚持学习。


TED演讲音视频视频简介:


演说者:Graham Shaw

演说题目:不要给自己人生设限 !

Graham Shaw用画画的例子告诉我们,你看似做不到的,其实都可以很轻松的做到,所谓的不能,只是内心自我的妨碍,其实你只要相信自己,你是可以做到的。


https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?width=500&height=375&auto=0&vid=t0882jxbeqf


TED演讲稿

Hi.I've got a question for you:
嗨。我有一个问题问大家:

how many people here would say they can draw?
今天在场多少人敢说他会画速写呢?

I think we've got about one or two percent of the hands going up,
我看举手的大概有1%到2%.

and it's interesting, isn't it?
很有意思,是不是?

It's a little bit like people think of spelling or singing.
有点像人们想起拼写或者唱歌。

They think,"You can either do it, or you can't."
他们想,“你或者会,或者不会。

But I think you can.
可是,我相信你们一定能。

Because when people say they can't draw,
因为当人们说他们不能画的时候,

I think it's more to do with beliefs rather than talent and ability.
我认为更多跟他们的信仰有关系, 而不是他们的天才或者能力。

So I think when you say you can't draw, that's just an illusion,
所以我认为,当他们说他们不会画的时候, 那仅是一个错觉。

and today I'd like to prove that to you.
今天,我就想给你们证明这一点。

When I say "draw",
当我说“画”的时候,

I'm not saying we're all going to draw like Michelangelo.
我不是说我们大家都要像米开朗基罗那样画。

We are not going to be painting the Sistine Chapel's ceiling.
我们不是要去画西斯廷礼拜堂的天顶画。

But would you be happy if, by the end of this session,
而是说,在这个讲话结束后,你们会感觉高兴于

you could draw pictures a little bit like this?
你们都能画,有点像这样的画。

(Audience murmuring) Oh, yes!
(观众窃窃私语)

Or even a little bit like this?
甚至于有点像这样的画?

Actually, there are only two things you need to do to be able to achieve this.
事实上要做到这些, 你们只要做两件事情。

One is have an open mind. Are you up for that?
首先,要解放思想, 你们能做到吗?

(Audience) Yes!
(观众:)当然!

And two, just be prepared to have a go.
然后第二点,准备好开始。

So grab a pen and a piece of paper.
那么,拿一张纸和一支笔出来。

OK, so here's how it's going to work:
好,下面我们这么着。

I’ll show you the first cartoon we're going to do,
我给大家看看我们要画的第一张卡通,

so just watch to begin with.
那么开始先好好看,

Here we go.
来开始了。

Just watching.
好好看。

That's going to be our first cartoon.
这将是我们要画的第一张卡通。

It's a character called Spike.
这是一个叫史派克的卡通人物。

I'd like you to draw along with me.
我想请你们跟我一起画。

I'll draw the first line, you draw, and when you've done that, look up,
我画第一条线,然后你们跟着画。 画完了之后请抬起头来。

and I'll know you're ready for the next line.
这样我就知道你们准备好画下一笔了。

Okay, here we go.
好,我们开始。

Start with the nose.
先画鼻子。

Now the eyes.
现在画眼睛。

They're like 66s or speech marks.
眼睛看起来像66或者双引号。

That's it.
这样就好了。

Next, the mouth. Nice, big smile.
然后,画嘴巴。漂亮的,大大的微笑。

Now, over here, the ear.
现在,在这里,画鼻子。

Next, some spiky hair.
然后,小平头。

Next, put the pen to the left to the mouth, little line like that.
然后,我们把笔落在嘴巴的左边, 轻轻一笔,

Pen under the ear, drop a line like that.
在耳朵下方落笔, 这么画一笔。

Pen to the left of the neck, top of the T-shirt.
脖子左边落笔, T恤的脖子。

Line to the left, line to the right.
左边一笔, 右边一笔。

Just hold your drawings up and show everyone.
把你们的画举起来让大家看看。

How are we all doing?
我们画的怎么样?

OK.
好。

OK, fantastic.
好,太棒了!

So, it looks like you've just learned to draw one cartoon,
这么说,看起来你们只是学会了画一张卡通画,

but you've actually learned more than that;
可是,你们实际上学到了更多;

you've learned a sequence that would enable you
你们学会了画的顺序,

to draw hundreds and thousands of different cartoons,
让你们可以画出千千万万张各种各样的卡通,

because we're just going to do little variations on that sequence.
因为,我们只是在这个顺序上做小小的变化。

Have a go at this.
我们再试试这个。

Draw along with me.
跟着我画。

Nose.
鼻子。

Eyes.
眼睛。

Smile.
微笑。

That's it.
好。

Now some hair.
再画点头发。

Pen to the left of the mouth,
嘴巴左边下笔,

under the hair,
头发下面。

little V-shape for the top,
上衣的V领。

line to the left, line to the right.
左一条线,右一条线。

So we've got another character. Let's call her Thelma.
我们又画了一个卡通人物。 让我们叫她萨尔玛。

So, we've got Spike and Thelma.
现在我们画了史派克和萨尔玛。

Let's try another one. Here we go.
我们再来一个。现在就开始了。

Another little variation. You're getting the idea.
再搞点小小的变化, 你马上就会明白这个意思。

Starting with the nose.
从鼻子开始。

But this time we'll change the eyes slightly.
这次我们稍稍改变一下眼睛。

Look, two circles together like that.
看着,两个连在一起的圆圈。

That's it.
就这样。

Then, two little dots in for the eyes.
然后,眼睛里点两个小黑点。

And this time we'll change the mouth slightly. Watch.
而且,我们稍稍改变一下嘴巴。你们看。

Little circle colored in there.
小圆圈,这儿涂上颜色。

Have a go at that.
就这样试试。

Next, the ear.
然后,耳朵。

Now, we'll have some fun with the hair, watch.
现在,我们搞搞头发。你们看。

Nice curly hair.
漂亮的卷发。

Then same thing: pen to the left to the mouth, little line like that.
同样,在嘴巴左侧也画上,小小一道线。

Under the ear, drop a line.
耳朵下方,往下画一道。

Top of the T-shirt.
T恤领子。

Line to the left, line to the right.
左一道,右一道。

I think we'll call him Jeff.
我想,我们可以叫他杰夫。

We'll do one more.
我们再来一张。

One more go. Here we go.
再来一张,开始。

You're getting the idea.
你们现在明白了。

So we'll start with a nose again.
我们还是从鼻子开始。

Notice we're doing little variations.
注意,我们做了一些小小的变化。

Now we'll change the eyes, so we've got them apart.
这次,我们改一下眼睛, 两只眼睛分开。

We'll put some little dots in like that.
里面点上这样的小点点。

Next, the mouth slightly different.
然后,嘴巴也稍稍不同。

Let's put a little V-shape like that.
还是来一个小V形。

Triangle.
三角形。

And a little line across, and we'll just color this a little bit in.
一小道线条穿过三角, 并且把颜色涂深一点。

Now, watch this bit carefully; some hair, watch.
现在,仔细看这里; 来点头发,看着。

Here we go, little line like that.
继续,这么一小道。

Next, a bit more there.
接着,再来一点点。

And watch, a couple of triangles to make a little bow.
好好看着,一对三角,形成小拱形。

Triangle at the bottom, rest of the hair.
下面在家一个三角,这是剩下的头发。

Pen to the left of the mouth again. You get the idea.
还是嘴巴左边下笔。 这你们都知道。

Drop a line for the neck.
一条线画脖子。

Now the V-shape.
现在画V形。

Line to the left, line to the right.
一道向左,一道向右。

There we go.
完成了。

Let's call her Pam.
让我们叫她派姆。

So you've done...
这么着,你们已经……

So you've done four cartoons. You can have a little rest now.
这么着,你们已经画了四个卡通画。 现在可以休息一下。

Take a rest.
休息一下。

You're getting the idea. All we're doing is little variations.
你们慢慢明白了。 我们所做的只是细微的变化。

I'll just demonstrate a couple to you.
我只是跟你们演示了一两个地方。

We could go on all day, couldn't we?
我们可以接着画一整天,能么?

You could do someone looking unhappy, a bit like that,
你们可以画一个闷闷不乐的人物,像这样,

or you could experiment with, perhaps, someone who is…
或者也可以试试这样, 或许,一个

just draw a straight line, someone looking a bit fed up.
就这么画一条直线, 一付受厌烦了的样子。

Or perhaps, you could do anything you like, really, just try things out.
或者,也许你们可以想怎么画就怎么画, 真的,就随便试着画。

Look at this. Little squiggle. There we are.
看这里,一条弯弯扭扭的线条。 就这样。

So, all sorts of things we could do.
所以,我们可以画各种各样的东西。

Actually, one more I'll let you do, one more idea.
事实上,我想让你们再画一张。 还有一个主意。

This is a great little technique.
这一个超级小技巧。

Have a go at this: people with glasses on.
试试这个:戴眼镜的人物。

Just draw a nose a bit like Spike's.
我们就画一个有点像史派克的鼻子。

Next, draw some frames,
然后,画镜框,

so two circles like that with a little bit in between.
两个这样的圆圈, 之间一小道。

Now, just put some dots inside for the eyes like that.
现在,只要在里面加上两点, 代表眼睛,就这样。

Next, the ear.
然后,耳朵。

So it's little bit like we did before, but this time we'll join up the frames.
基本跟我们之前画的一样, 只是这次我们要把镜框架起来。

That's it. Watch this bit.
就这样,好好看这一点点。

And this bit I really like. Watch.
这一点点,我真的很喜欢。看着。

And then, little bit there.
然后,这里一点点。

Pencil under the mustache, line down,
胡子底下下笔,往下一道,

top of the shirt, left and right.
T恤领子,左一笔,右一笔。

So there we have it. We could carry on, couldn't we?
这么就画完了。 我们还可以继续,可以么?

Hopefully, we've done enough to convince you
希望我们画到这里, 足以说服你们

that in fact we can all draw.
事实上我们大家都会画。

And not just people here. I've worked with…
而且不只是今天在场的人。 和以前跟我学过画的人……

I'm going to give you three examples of other people who've learned to draw,
我给你们举三个例子, 其他学会画速写的人的例子。

and that actually surprised them, too.
而且他们当时也吃惊不小,跟你们一样。

I'm going to save what I think is my favorite,
我要把我觉得最喜欢,

most surprising example until last.
最令我震惊的例子,放到最后。

The first example is:
第一个例子是这样的:

I've worked a lot with children and students in schools.
我教过很多小孩和学校的学生。

Actually the little ones, they just draw fine,
小孩子,一般都画得很好,

but when they get to about 15 or 16, most of them think they can't draw.
可是一旦过了十五六岁, 大多数都认为自己不会画。

But I worked with them.
但是我跟他们交流。

I worked this week in a school
就在本周,我去了一个学校。

where I was coaching them on using pictures for memory.
主要是教他们利用画图来帮助记忆。

A girl was trying to remember what red blood cells do,
一位女生试图记住红细胞的功能,

and she drew this little picture
她画了这个小图,

of a red blood cell carrying a handbag with O2 on it
一个红色的细胞,提着一个手袋 上面写着O2,

to remind her that the red blood cells carry oxygen to all parts of the body.
好让她记住血红细胞将氧气带到身体的各个部分。

That was a great one.
这是个不错的例子。

The other people I worked with are many adults in all walks of life,
除此之外,我也跟处于不同年龄段 的成年人工作过,

and particularly in business,
特别是在生意圈子里,

and they often will want to make presentations memorable.
他们经常想让他们做的介绍观众过目不忘。

So again, a quick cartoon or sketch could be really good for that.
在这种情况下,一个速写的卡通或者草图 可以大显神通。

And again, most people think they can't draw, but take this example.
同样多数人认为他们不会画。 可是,我们看看这个例子。

Couple of wavy lines,
几条波浪线,

little boat could be a metaphor to represent we're all in this together.
小船象征着我们大家都在里面。

So that, if that was just drawn in the presentation,
所以如果在演讲中画出来,

would really stay in the memory, wouldn't it?
一定会过目不忘,是不是?

Yeah.
当然是的。

But the third example is - you shouldn't have favorites, should you?
可是第三个例子是 - 你们不能有偏好,对不对?

This is my favorite.
这是我的最爱。

Have you ever been at the party when someone asks you what you do?
你有没有经历过在一个宴会里有人问你是做什么的?

It gets a little bit skeptical when people ask me that.
当人们问我时,会有点怀疑

This lady said to me, well -
这位女士对我说,哦

I said, "I do a little bit of training, and I teach people to draw,"
我说,“我做一点培训,我教人学画画”

and she said, "Would you come along and do some for our group?"
然后,她说,“你能来为我们的团体做一些培训吗?

She said, "I work with some people"
- she was a volunteer -
她说,“她和一些人一起工作” -她是志愿者-

a group of people who have suffered strokes.
这个团体的人们都经历过中风

So I said, "Sure, I could spare some time for that."
所以我说,“当然可以,我可以花一些时间做培训”

So I said I would, and I booked the time in.
然后我说我可以,我预定了时间。

Have you ever done that?
你曾经做过这个吗?

You get near of that time
那时你在接近

and you think, "What have I let myself in for here?"
然后你会想 ,“是什么让我自己陷入在这里?

"Will I be able to do it?"
我能做它吗?

I thought, "What could I do with them?" you see.
我想, “我能和他们做些什么呢?” 你们明白

"I know. I'll do my cartoon drawing. They'll like that."
我知道, 我要画我的卡通画,他们应该喜欢

But then, as I got near of the time, I got more apprehensive,
但是,随着时间接近,我变的更加忧虑

because then I was thinking,
因为我一直在想

"I've worked with children, with all sorts of adults;
我已经培训过小孩子们,培训过各种成人

I've never worked with a group like this."
但是我从未培训过像这样的团体

It turns out it was all part of a charity called TALK.
它证明是一个叫TALK(说)的慈善机构的部分

This TALK charity is a wonderful charity that helps people who've suffered strokes,
这个TALK慈善机构是一个的了不起的慈然机构, 它帮助那些患中风疾病的人们

but have a particular condition known as aphasia.
而且有患有失语症的特殊的情况

You might have heard of aphasia, sometimes called dysphasia.
你可能听说过失语症。有时候叫做言语障碍症

The key thing is it affects their ability to communicate.
关键的事情是它影响他们的沟通交流能力

So, for example, they might have trouble
比如,他们可能有问题在

reading, writing, speaking, or understanding.
读,写,说,或者理解上面

It can be quite an isolating condition;
它可以使比较孤立的一种情况

it can be very, very frustrating and can lead to a loss of confidence.
它可以是非常非常使人沮丧,甚至导致失去信心

Anyway, so I prepared all this stuff, what to do for this session
不管怎样,我准备了所有的资料,怎么做这个培训

- for a couple of hours, tea break in the middle -
大概几个小时,中间喝茶休息时间

and I got more apprehensive.
我变得更加忧虑

But actually, I needn't have worried,
但是实际上,我没有必要担心

because I'm going to show you now the work that they did.
因为我将要向你们展示他们做的

It was one of the best things I've ever done.
这是我做过的最好的事情之一

I'm going to show you the first slide.
我将给你们展示第一张幻灯片

I taught them Spike, just like I did for you,
我教了他们史派克,像刚刚教你们一样

and I want you to see the reaction on their faces when they did this.
我想让你们看看他们画画时的表情

(Audience) Oh.
(观众)哦

What you can see here are two of the stroke recoverers
你们这里看到的是两个中风患者的康复者

on the left and right,
在左边和右边

and one of the volunteer helpers in the center.
其中一个志愿帮助者在中间

Each stroke recoverer, there are about 36 in the room with volunteers as well,
每一个中风康复者,这个房间里大概有36个人,包括志愿者们

there's one-to-one helpers.
这是一对一的帮助者

You can just see the delight on their faces, can't you?
你可以看到他们脸上的快乐,是吧

Let's look at another picture.
让我们看另外一个图片

This is a gentleman called David, and he's holding up his picture,
这位先生叫大卫,他在拿着这个图片

and you can tell it was the picture of Spike, can't you?
你可以说这是史派克的图片,是吧

In fact, I think he's drawn Spike even better there.
事实上,我认为他画的史派克更好些

But what I didn't realize until even after the session
但是我没有意识到的是,直到结束这次培训

was that the number of the people in this session, including David,
在这次培训中,很多人包括大卫

were drawing with their wrong hand.
是用他们非惯用的手画画的

David's stroke meant that it affected the right side of his body,
大卫中风影响到他右侧身体

and he drew with his left hand, as many did.
所以他用他左手画的,很多其他人也是

Nobody mentioned it to me, nobody complained.
没有人向我提这回事,也没有人抱怨

They just got on with it.
他们就这样画画的

It was an inspirational session for me.
它是一个鼓舞人心的培训

It was quite a humbling session,
它又是一个令人谦恭的培训

one of the best things I felt I've ever done.
是我觉得我做过的最美好的事情之一

At the end of it, I had a lovely email from doctor Mike Jordan,
培训结束后,我收到Mike Jordan医生一封令人愉快的邮件

and he's the chair of the TALK group;
他是TALK机构的主席

happens to be a medical doctor, but he's the chair of the group.
他是一名医生,但是他又是一个机构的主席

He wrote to me, and I'm quoting, he said,
我这里引用他写给我的,他说

"Our recoverers learned today that they can draw.
”今天我们的康复者认识到他们可以画画

It's a bit more than that;
它不仅仅是这些;

this sort of activity really builds their confidence."
这是一种让他们建立自信心的活动。

So I was happy, he was happy, everyone was happy,
所以当时我很高兴,他也很高兴,每个人都很高兴

they've invited me back again,
他们又邀请我去

and I go in there now about every three or four months.
现在我大概每三,四个月都会去那里一次

So it's great. I thought that was a lovely example to share.
很不错。我想这是很温馨的值得分享的例子

Fancy one more drawing?
想再画一个画?

(Audience) Yes.
(观众)是

Here we go. Grab your pens.
那我们开始,拿起你的笔

Here we go. Right.
我们开始了

I'm going to get you to draw someone that you would recognize.
我将让你画一个你可能认出的人

So start with a big nose, a bit like Spike's.
开始于大鼻子,有点像史派克的鼻子

Next, we'll do some eyes, and you might be thinking,
下面。我们做眼睛。你可能会想

"This is also a bit like Spike."
这个也有点像史派克

Watch the next bit.
看看下面

You're getting warm.
你已经热身了

There you go.
开始吧

Little line down there.
下面这里一条小线

Down here.
再下面

Little V-shape, line to the left, line to the right.
小的V型領,左边一笔,右边一笔

And you've got Albert Einstein.
那么你画出了艾伯特 爱因斯坦

So you've got the pens with you,
那么你有了你的笔

you've proved that you can draw.
你证明了你可以画画

You're very welcome to take the pens with you
你可以随意带着笔回去

and have a practice at home,
回家里练习

even show somebody else.
甚至展示给其他人

But actually, I'd like to leave you with a final thought.
但是实际上,我想给你留下一个最后的想法

When you walked in here today,
今天当你们来在这里时

many of you didn't believe you could draw.
很多人认为你们不会画画

I've got a question for you about that.
我想针对这个问大家一个问题,

How many other beliefs and limiting thoughts
还有哪些信念和限制性的想法

do we all carry around with us every day?
每天我们都带着?

Beliefs that we could perhaps potentially challenge
那些我们有办法挑战

and think differently about.
和换个角度去思考的信念

If we did challenge those beliefs and think differently about them,
如果我们真的挑战那些信念并用不同的角度思考他们

apart from drawing, what else would be possible for us all?
除了画画,还有什么对我们来说是可以做到的呢?

Thank you very much.
谢谢大家。

THE END


TED演讲:生命的第三幕~
TED演讲:2019年接近尾声,你存了多少钱?
TED演讲:不要指手画脚别人的人生!
TED英文演讲:直面内心的恐惧,挑战它!
TED:致性侵中受害的人,被伤害并不是你的错!
TED英文演讲:为什么被家暴了,他们还是不肯离开?《绯闻女孩》1-6季中英视频资源免费领~
322篇Ted英文演讲视频集合,收藏~54部经典经典英文名著合集,收藏贴~
47篇经典BBC纪录片合集,收藏学习吧!
20部学英语必看的电影,每一部都是经典!

    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存