查看原文
其他

TED演讲:身为一个周间素食者

经典节目

TED合集

BBC纪录片合集

VOA慢速合集

口语积累

口语小知识

名著阅读

名人专访、演讲

资源下载

近22年TED

美剧下载

电影下载


我们都知道吃素帮助环境、保护动物...但在今日的肉食文化中,要改变着实不易。Graham Hill有个建议……


TED视频

TED演讲稿

About a year ago, I asked myself a question: "Knowing what I know, why am I not a vegetarian?"

大概在一年前左右,我问了我自己一个问题:“我明明知道这些资讯,为什么我不是个素食者?”

After all, I'm one of the green guys: I grew up with hippie parents in a log cabin.

毕竟我支持环保,热爱绿概念 和嬉皮父母在小木屋里长大。

I started a site called TreeHugger — I care about this stuff.

我开了一个叫Treehugger的网站-我很关心这些东西。

I knew that eating a mere hamburger a day can increase my risk of dying by a third.

我知道光是每天吃一个汉堡,就能增加三分之一的死亡几率。

Cruelty: I knew that the 10 billion animals we raise each year for meat are raised in factory farm conditions that we,

我知道每年我们养殖100亿动物,就为了他们身上的肉,而这些动物生活的那种工厂环境,

hypocritically, wouldn't even consider for our own cats, dogs and other pets.

是我们根本无法想象自己的猫或是宠物可以居住的。

Environmentally, meat, amazingly, causes more emissions than all of transportation combined:

就环境来说,神奇的是,肉品排放的二氧化碳比所有交通工具的排放量还大

cars, trains, planes, buses, boats, all of it.

汽车、火车、飞机、公交车、船只等所有交通工具。

And beef production uses 100 times the water that most vegetables do.

制造肉所使用的水是蔬菜的一百倍

I also knew that I'm not alone. We as a society are eating twice as much meat as we did in the 50s.

我也知道我并不孤单,整个社会,现在我们所吃的肉足足比50年代多了两倍。

So what was once the special little side treat now is the main, much more regular.

曾经我们当作特别的小食,现在却成了我们的日常主食

So really, any of these angles should have been enough to convince me to go vegetarian.

说真的,以任何角度来说,都应该足以让我成为素食者。

Yet, there I was — chk, chk, chk — tucking into a big old steak.

但我还是嗯,嗯,嗯,被一块巨大的牛排包围着。

So why was I stalling? I realized that what I was being pitched was a binary solution.

我到底在迟疑什么?我发觉这是因为我把它当作一个二分法的问题。

It was either you're a meat eater or you're a vegetarian,

你需要决定你到底是吃肉还是吃素

and I guess I just wasn't quite ready. Imagine your last hamburger.

我想我实在没做好心理准备,想象最后的一个汉堡。

So my common sense, my good intentions, were in conflict with my taste buds.

于是乎我的常识,我的用意良善和我的味蕾产生了矛盾。

And I'd commit to doing it later, and not surprisingly, later never came. Sound familiar?

我总是想着之后再做,之后却永远不会来,听起来很熟悉吗?

So I wondered, might there be a third solution?

于是我想着,或许应该有第三种选择?

And I thought about it, and I came up with one.

经过思考以后,我想出了一个。

I've been doing it for the last year, and it's great. It's called weekday veg.

去年我便这么实行,感觉很好,叫做周间素食。

The name says it all: Nothing with a face Monday through Friday.

事如其名,礼拜一到五不吃任何有脸的东西。

On the weekend, your choice. Simple.

周末,自由选择,如此简单。

If you want to take it to the next level, remember,

如果你想更进一步,记得,

the major culprits in terms of environmental damage and health are red and processed meats.

红肉和经处理的肉类是今日破坏环境和健康的罪魁祸首

So you want to swap those out with some good, sustainably harvested fish.

如果你想要和它们说不,你也可以改为食用一些以不破坏环境平衡养殖的鱼类。

It's structured, so it ends up being simple to remember, and it's okay to break it here and there.

有了这样的规律,就比较容易记得,偶尔犯戒也没关系。

After all, cutting five days a week is cutting 70 percent of your meat intake.

毕竟五天不吃肉,减少七成的肉。

The program has been great, weekday veg

我很喜欢周间素食这个点子

My footprint's smaller, I'm lessening pollution,

我的碳足迹小了,我减低了污染

I feel better about the animals, I'm even saving money.

我对动物感觉好些了,甚至还存了一点钱

Best of all, I'm healthier, I know that I'm going to live longer,

最棒的是,我更健康了,我知道我会更长命

and I've even lost a little weight.

甚至还瘦了一些

So, please ask yourselves, for your health, for your pocketbook, for the environment, for the animals:

于是,请大家今天自问,为了你的健康,你的财富,为了环境和动物,

What's stopping you from giving weekday veg a shot?

为什么不试试做个周间的素食者呢?

After all, if all of us ate half as much meat,

如果我们所有人都少吃一半的肉

it would be like half of us were vegetarians. Thank you.

那就像我们之中有一半人是素食者一样。谢谢大家。




RECOMMEND
推荐阅读

常用英语1000词图解字典,附电子版下载!

100篇美国20世纪精彩演讲(文本+MP3音频)

《走遍美国》全78集视频+MP3+教材免费领取!

2010年代豆瓣十佳经典影片!全部9.0分以上(附资源)

203个英文视频合集:明星专访,名人演讲,励志视频……

《暮光之城》经典台词整理(附1-4部资源)

《风雨哈佛路》经典回顾:你的人生,其实早就注定了(附完整视频)

我知道你“在看”

    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存