查看原文
其他

12月晨读-Day 1 “前任对你余情未了,想复合?”

快乐的月亮邮递员 枫林悦读 2021-02-10

More Speak English Like an American 是一本什么样的书?

It helps you recognize and understand idioms whenever you see or hear them. ··· ··· Idioms add color and spark to your speaking and writing——they make you come alive, the way you do when speaking your native language.

Lesson 1

抢饭碗 eat our lunch / cannibalize

比如对手新研发了一个产品,对我方造成冲击,导致公司的销量下降The new product cannibalize our existing sales.


别慌 Let's not push the panic button yet.


非我职责范围内的事

 xx is not in my job description
That is not what I signed up for.


做事拖拖拉拉 drag one's feet


有人告诉我

I have my sources. / a little bird told me


快说 Out with it ! / 

快告诉我呀 fill me in / tell me about it


英文中的(日文)外来词:照烧鸡排饭 teriyaki
神风特工队kamikaze a kamikaze attack 自杀式袭击He made a kamikaze run across three lanes of traffic. 简直不要命了
相扑 sumo sumo-sized challenge

      关注 Eric 微博,每天都有新收获


Lesson 2

欸!我真是后悔

 I am kicking myself for doing···


她对我余情未了 

She still has the hots for me.


前任找你“复合” 

get back together


我对这玩意一点也“不感冒” 

I‘m not hot on that.


脑子被门夹了?

Have you got a few screws loose?


接受现实,认命吧 

Suck it up ! / Face the music.


求放过 

cut me some slack / let me off the hook.


让人膈应、不爽 

breathe down sb's neck “ to watch over someone very closely in a way that makes them uncomfortable or pressures them to do something ”

造句:我答应老板这周五交报告,希望他别老是催我。I promised my boss I'd finish the report by Friday. Hopefully, he won't be breathing down my neck all week.


说三道四,不停指责

be/get on sb's case

眼看着年关将至,七大姑八大姨免不了在家庭聚餐环节提起“找对象了没?”“结婚了没?”“买房了没?”这档子让人心烦的事,they always on my case about _______.


引来一堆麻烦事

open a can of worms (注意复数)

意思是惹出麻烦,类似于Pandora's box (潘多拉魔盒),开弓没有回头箭,做了某件事就要承担带来的不好结果。如果你的亲友找你托关系走后门,一旦你开了这个先河,其他亲友也闻风而来,你想推却又难以拒绝,you just opened a can of worms, 真是悔不当初(you are kicking yourself for what you have done) 。


拓展表达:

the worm turns / even a worm will turn

狗急了会跳墙,兔子急了会咬人,小小青虫被踩了也会瞎翻腾,说白了就是别把一个人给逼急了,留点活路吧。比如渣男出轨分手了还甩锅女友,细数各种不是,女孩听不下去了,Now the worm turns, she stormed into the room and gave him a punch.


Amy Gillett 系列的口语书是非常好的学习素材,上半年状态不好没参加晨读,下半年开始到目前接触了她的两本作品 Speak English Like an American More Speak English Like an American,都是满满的干货,里面涉及到非常多实用短语表达,感兴趣的同学可自己找来练一练,相信也会有很大的收获。


    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存